A month of clean eating went by quickly, and I hold to my reflections from day 5: I’m not hungry, I’m not tired, and it’s not hard. I’d add: real food tastes GOOD. I’m picking up flavors that I’ve never noticed before, especially the subtle differences in Guatemala’s regional coffee. Who needs to cover those up with milk or creamer?
My husband has been intrigued with the challenge and enjoying the food I’ve been making, so we’re going to have another go around in January. Anyone in?
Here are some links and thoughts on some of my favorite recipes:
- Slow cooker BBQ pulled pork The homemade BBQ sauce is made of balsamic, tomato paste, and mustard. I played with the proportions a bit because I found the 2 cups of balsamic created a very tangy taste. But, delicious! The key is shredding the meat an hour before it’s finished cooking – plenty of time to absorb that sauce!
- Spinach and Artichoke Chicken There is something inexplicable about the simplicity of this recipe – I’m not sure how it turns out so delicious, but it does. Every time.
- Chicken and Avocado Burgers For when I wanted a substantial meal but was ultimately feeling lazy.
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Bacon Soup I like butternut squash and I like bacon, but I was a bit hesitant about this recipe. But, the flavor was incredible – not as good leftover as fresh, but delicious none-the-less.
- Sweet Potato Fritters Rico. Like candy (well, not quite). I was home alone one night and was going to make this as a side, but ended up having it as a dinner itself because the combination is just that good.
- Patatas Bravas Whether or not I made the sauce, this is an infallible way of preparing potatoes.
- Pumpkin Custard I’m still not sure if this is a cheat. It’s described as a breakfast custard, but could just as easily be Thanksgiving dessert. To all you pumpkin lovers out there, this is it 🙂
When I didn’t use a set recipe, meals consisted of some meat + loads of sauteed vegetables, both of which provide filling lunches for the next day.
Will get back with thoughts on reintroduction as that’s my next phase!